Make a payment
Student loans Ngā pūtea tarewa ākonga

When things go wrong while you're overseas

Sometimes when you're returning from overseas, things go wrong that are beyond your control.

You can apply for your loan to be interest-free if you were intending to travel for less than 6 months but an unexpected delay, outside of your control, meant you weren't able to return to New Zealand.

Some examples of these delays are:

  • airline strikes
  • personal illness
  • death or illness of a family member
  • fire, flood, storm, earthquake, landslide or volcanic eruption
  • an explosion or nuclear, biological, or chemical contamination
  • sabotage, terrorism or an act of war.

To apply you'll need to:

  • have been a New Zealand tax resident while you were overseas
  • be able to show that you were intending to stay less than six months
  • show evidence of the unexpected delay
  • show evidence that because of the unexpected delay you weren't able to return to New Zealand as intended.

You'll also need to provide some proof, for example:

  • an airline ticket showing the change in departure/arrival date
  • a medical certificate or a letter from a doctor
  • a death certificate
  • airline strike documentation
  • media coverage in cases of war.