Make a payment
Residential property Ngā whare rīhi me ngā whare haumi

Putting it right

If you've made a mistake in your tax return, it's best to tell us straightaway.

Making a voluntary disclosure

A voluntary disclosure is when you tell us there's something wrong with your tax return before we find out some other way. For example, you may have missed out some rental income or incorrectly claimed an expense.

If you tell us about a mistake before we find out ourselves through routine checking or an audit, we may reduce any penalties you have to pay.

You can make a voluntary disclosure at any time. You can contact us directly or complete a Voluntary disclosure (IR281) form. You can also make a voluntary disclosure during an interview with us as part of an audit.

Related products, services and links

Read our Putting your tax affairs right (IR280) guide
Register for myIR to manage your tax and entitlements securely online
Contact us