Make a payment

Do you need to file tax returns before you leave New Zealand?

If your intention is to leave New Zealand permanently and you have determined that you'll become a New Zealand non-resident then you should file an income tax return up to the date of your departure.

Find out more about your personal tax residency

Read our Leaving New Zealand and filing a tax return (IR1005) guide


Even if you become a non-resident, if you earn income from a New Zealand source, eg, rental income from a New Zealand property, then you'll be required to file a Non-resident income tax return (IR3NR) for the relevant tax year to return the New Zealand source income.

Find out more about the year you cease to be a tax resident