Make a payment
Individual income tax Tāke moni whiwhi mō te takitahi

Tax refunds

Who can get a refund?

You could be eligible for a refund if you:

  • earned less than $48,000 in the last tax year
  • had a part-time job in the last tax year
  • took an extended break or only worked for part of the last tax year
  • had more than one job in the last tax year.

How do I get my refund?

We're automating the tax refund process for most individuals.

Learn more about the changes

You can still check if you’re eligible for a refund for the previous 4 years and request a personal tax summary (PTS) (tax years ending 31 March 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015).

You can use our calculator in myIR Secure Online Services to do a no-obligation check before you request your personal tax summary (PTS) for a previous tax year.

If the calculator shows you could be due a refund, you can go ahead and request your PTS. You'll just need to select the tax year you want to request, tick the declaration box, then click request again.

You'll also need to check your bank account details are correct so we know where to refund your money.