Make a payment

Find out about

IRD numbers, how much tax you will pay on your New Zealand income and meeting your tax obligations.
IRD numbers

An IRD number is an eight or nine digit number unique to you. It is important as all your tax, entitlement and personal details are linked to this number.

Tax rates and codes

Tax rates are different for individuals and companies. Rates can also change if legislation changes.

Making payments to Inland Revenue

You can pay your tax, child support or KiwiSaver contributions electronically or by post.

Updating your bank account and contact details

You can instantly update your contact and bank account details in your myIR Secure Online Services account for all tax types, even if you wouldn't normally expect a refund.

Managing financial difficulty and debt

If you think you’ll have difficulty meeting any of your tax obligations, contact us to discuss your situation. Penalties may apply if you don’t pay on time.

Convert overseas currencies

We publish different exchange rates for different purposes. This page explains which rates to use.

Disagreements and the disputes process

We’re committed to giving you good service. If you’re unhappy with the service you received please tell us. We’ll work with you to resolve any issues and improve our service. If you disagree with an assessment of tax or child support, you may need to follow the disputes process.

Have someone act on your behalf

Normally, we can’t discuss your Inland Revenue records with anyone except you. But, you can choose to authorise someone else to act on your behalf, to help you with your tax. However, Child Support customers must authorise us in writing to release information to another person. An authorised person can discuss your child support, but can’t authorise forms or take other actions on your behalf.


We audit businesses to check if people are paying the correct amount of tax. The audit can cover income tax, GST and employer returns. After an audit you may be entitled to a refund or have tax to pay.