Unable to log in to myIR
If you're having problems logging in to myIR, look at the suggestions below to help you access your account again. You do not need to call us. Firstly, check for any outage alerts on the blue banner at the top of the website.
I've forgotten my user ID
- Go to myIR
- Click on 'Forgot user ID'
- Enter your IRD number and verify your email address.
Note: IRD numbers contain 9 digits so if your number has 8 digits, add a 0 before entering your IRD number.
If you lost or forgot your IRD number
Visit how to find your IRD number
My password does not work
If you have typed the correct password, try clearing your computer cache and cookies, then close your browser and try again. This should clear any previous passwords still being used by the browser to log in.
Otherwise, you should reset your password. See below.
If you're using Google Chrome
- in Chrome, click the ⋮ (vertical ellipses) in the top right corner of the screen
- choose More tools
- choose Clear browsing data...
- choose the desired time range in the drop-down menu. To delete everything, select All time
- make sure the box next to Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files are ticked, then
- click Clear data.
If you're using Internet Explorer
- in Internet Explorer, click the gear icon on the top right corner
- choose Internet options from the drop-down menu
- under Browsing history click Delete
- make sure the box next to Cookies and website data are ticked, then
- click Ok
If clearing your computer cookies is not the issue, please ensure:
- if you've been copying and pasting your password - try typing it in.
- that you enter it in the correct case as your password is case-sensitive
- that you don't have an extra space character at the end of your user ID - your smartphone may have added one in.
I've forgotten my password
You will need your myIR logon username and the email address that's registered with your myIR logon to reset your password. You can reset your password by choosing 'Forgot password?' on the myIR login page.
Passwords must be at least 5 characters long. Passwords under 10 characters must have at least 2:
- lowercase letters
- uppercase letters
- numbers, or
- special characters.
Your password must not:
- contain your user ID
- be one of the most commonly used passwords, and
- be over 255 characters long.
I've requested to reset my password but have not received an email to reset
It can take up to 10 minutes to deliver the email. Be sure to check your junk folder as well.
I received a blank screen when trying to log in
If you're trying to log in and do not receive an error message after you entered your user ID and password, close your browser and log in again. If this does not work, try clearing your browser history.
My RealMe login does not work
You will need your user ID and password to log in to your RealMe account. If you have forgotten either of these, you will also need your email address.
Log in to or reset my RealMe
If you use myIR regularly and want to save it as a favourite, you need to bookmark the IRD website homepage https://www.ird.govt.nz/ and not the myIR login screen.
Need help with something else? Try asking us a question below: