Make a payment
GST (Goods and services tax) Te tāke hokohoko

Correct an error in your GST return

You can correct certain errors in your GST return in myIR Secure Online Services.

What's on this page

Correcting your GST return in the next taxable period

You can correct errors in the next taxable period when:

  • you provided a return and the assessment of the GST liability has one or more errors, and
  • the total discrepancy in the assessment caused by the error is $1,000 or less.

If you haven’t claimed an expense for GST in one taxable period

You can claim it in a following taxable period provided the above criteria is met.

If you’ve made an error calculating the amount of GST you’ve collected you can correct it in a following taxable period, as long as the purpose isn’t to delay the payment of tax, when the total discrepancy is equal to or less than both:

  • $10,000 of the GST collected, and
  • 2% of the GST collected.

Record keeping

You must keep records of the:

  • GST return period the error occurred in
  • GST amount involved
  • type of error, and
  • GST return period you made the correction in.

You need to give us this informaiton if we ask for it.

Back to top

Correcting your GST return in the same taxable period

You may be able to correct errors for the same taxable period in myIR. If you can't, you'll need to request for us to amed the assessment.

You'll need to provide the:

  • GST taxable period the error occurred in
  • GST amount involved and what the amended figures should be, and
  • type of error and why the change is needed.

If we agree we'll amend your original GST assessment and send you a notice of assessment. Don't send us a replacement GST return to amend the assessment.

Alternatively, section 20(3) of the GST Act 1985 allows a taxpayer to include a GST input tax deduction not claimed in an earlier return period in a later return period.


We'll charge use-of-money interest where the reassessed GST is an amount to pay and over $100.

We'll pay use-of-money interest if the reassessed GST is a refund over $100.

Find out how interest rules apply


We may ask for more information to consider if we’ll charge a shortfall penalty.

Find out more about shortfall penalties

Back to top

When you can't correct your GST return

If you choose a particular tax position and change your mind about it, you can't correct it. You must use our disputes process and:

Find out more about the disputes process initiated by the taxpayer