Make a payment
Forms and guides Ngā puka tāke me ngā puka tohutohu

Voluntary disclosure (IR281)

(published May 2016)

About this form

A voluntary disclosure is when you tell us what is wrong with your tax returns before we find out in some other way. It may be if you have omitted some income from your return or incorrectly claimed expenses. Anyone can make a voluntary disclosure - salary or wage earners, individuals, businesses, trusts and employers.

PDF | 71kb | 2 pages

When to use this form

Use this form if you wish to make a voluntary disclosure about your tax returns. For more information on voluntary disclosures see our guide Putting your tax affairs right (IR280).

What you will need

You will need:

  • your IRD or GST number - if you do not have this contact us.
  • contact details.

Tell us why you are making a voluntary disclosure, ie, state:

  • why the omission(s) or error(s) occurred.
  • the year(s) or period(s) concerned.

You will need to give us enough information to work out how much tax you owe. This may include attaching outstanding returns. If you do not have all the information, please tell us when you will be able to provide it.