Make a payment
Forms and guides Ngā puka tāke me ngā puka tohutohu

Application to assess child support (IR101)

(published December 2016)

About this form

Parents of qualifying children can apply for a formula assessment of child support. If you're a parent living in Australia, you must apply for child support through the Australian Department of Human Services (DHS).

PDF | 257kb | 8 pages

When to use this form

Use this form to apply for a formula assessment if you're a parent. Use a separate application for each 'other' parent. List the children under the appropriate parent, eg, if you have children with two ex-partners, fill in an application form for each.

What you will need

Your IRD number.

The full name of the other parent(s) and any other details you are able to provide for us.

The full name of any dependent child (or children) in your care and their IRD number if you have one. You'll also need to provide proof of the date of birth for each child using one of the following:

  • New Zealand birth certificate
  • overseas birth certificate
  • New Zealand or overseas passport
  • certificate of New Zealand citizenship
  • certificate of identity
  • photo driver's licence
  • 18+ card issued by the Hospitality Association.

For proof of paternity you will need to provide:

  • the child's full New Zealand or Australian birth certificate
  • the child's full overseas birth certificate (with a certified English translation if necessary)
  • an adoption order for the child
  • a paternity order for the child made by a New Zealand or Australian court
  • a completed Acknowledgment of parentage (IR106) form
  • a document signed by the liable parent acknowledging they're the child's parent.

If you share the care of a child (or children) then you'll need to provide:

  • details of which children you share the care of
  • the name and the contact details of the other person who has care of the children
  • details of the care arrangement
  • a copy of one of the following:
    • a Court order, or
    • your care/access agreement, or
    • a letter signed by both parties, stating the care that each person has.
After you finish

When you have printed, signed and enclosed all the necessary paperwork for this form you can send it to us.


List of postal addresses for Inland Revenue >