Make a payment
Forms and guides Ngā puka tāke me ngā puka tohutohu

Tax credit claim form 2015 (IR526)

(published March 2015)

About this form

Complete this form to claim tax credits for donations for the tax year 1 April 2014 to 31 March 2015.

PDF | 113kb | 2 pages

This form can be completed on-screen by typing content directly into the PDF document. Once you have completed the form it is important that you print it out as you will not be able to save the information you enter into the form.

When to use this form

If you are making a donation tax credit claim for the 2015 tax year (1 April 2014 to 31 March 2015), and you made a donation claim last year (1 April 2013 to 31 March 2014), you don't need to fill out this form.

We will send you a form automatically in:

  • April 2015 if you don't file an IR3 income tax return
  • May 2015 if you do file an IR3 income tax return

Tax credits can be claimed by individuals (not companies, trusts or partnerships) who earned taxable income in the period they are claiming for, and were a New Zealand resident for tax purposes at any time during the tax year.

You can claim a tax credit for each receipted donation of $5 or more to:

  • an approved donee organisation
  • an approved New Zealand religious organisation
  • approved overseas aid funds
  • kindergartens
  • state schools, state integrated schools, other schools who have been approved as a donee organisation, school boards of trustees or parent teacher associations.

The IR526 cannot be used for donations made through payroll giving. You received the tax credits for these at the time of your donation.

Removal of childcare and housekeeper tax credits

  • Payments made from 1 April 2012 for childcare and/or housekeeper payments are no longer eligible for a tax credit.
  • Payments made prior to this date are still eligible and should be claimed using the Tax credit claim form (IR526) for the relevant tax year.
What you will need

You will need receipts for all donations that you would like to claim.

You will also need to provide the details of the bank account number that you would like this tax credit paid into. If you want this amount transferred to another person's income tax account, you will need to provide the IRD number of this person and the period that you want this credit paid to.

After you finish

Send the claim form back to us. Remember to attach your receipts (to the blank section on page 2).

If you are required to file an IR3 income tax return for the year in which you made the donations, we will need to check your taxable income in your tax return when we process your claim.

If we don't have your tax return we will ask you for it.

Your tax return may not yet be due to be filed, however until it is your refund may be delayed.

You may avoid delays by sending your tax credit claim and your IR3 tax return at the same time.

  • You will receive a notice of your tax credit amount within six weeks if we don't need to wait for your IR3 income tax return to be filed. Your refund will be direct credited to the bank account nominated on your form, unless you have a debt with us, or ask for it to be transferred to another income tax account.
  • If you send in your form an then want to make another credit claim for donations, childcare or a housekeeper, post the receipts to us with your name, address and IRD number. We will update your claim.

List of postal addresses for Inland Revenue >