Skip to Content

Renting out your house or room for a few days?

teal banner
teal banner

If you get money from renting out your house, a room, a caravan or a sleep-out for any time at all - it's income.

This means you must file a tax return as you may have tax to pay - you may even get a refund. It depends on your other income (e.g salary or wages) and how much tax you've paid in the year.

Getting your taxes right is easy. Here’s what you need to know:

  • you must include the income on an Individual tax return (IR3). This can be filed online - for most people it’s due 7 July
  • you can claim expenses for the time you rented out the space - such as rates, insurance, cleaning and advertising
  • keep clear records to confirm all income and expenses.


Tools to help you get it right


Local Councils

Check out our short video about different types of rental income.


Please wait - video is loading


Flash video | 2:06 mins

Go to video transcript »