Make a payment
Calendars and important dates Ngā maramataka me ngā rā hira

Due date for income tax returns
7 July

7 July is the due date for filing income tax returns if you do not have a tax agent with a valid extension of time.

You may need to file a return if you:

  • are self-employed
  • run a company
  • have worked for cash
  • have income from property, partnerships, trusts, or from overseas

You need to send us a tax return by 7 July if you have untaxed income. Unless you have:

  • an extension of time through your tax agent or
  • an approved change-in-balance date.

Phone us on 0800 377 774 if:

  • you received a taxpack but do not think you need to send a return, or
  • there's a reason you cannot send us your return on time.

If you received a taxpack but do not file a return or contact us by 7 July you may be charged a late filing penalty.

Find out more about filing returns

Income tax assessment

We've replaced the personal tax summary process with automated income tax from the 2018-2019 tax year on.

We'll automatically process and finalise your end-of-year tax information if your income is from:

  • employment (such as salary and wages)
  • investments (such as interest or dividends from bank deposits or savings)
  • an employee share-scheme benefit
  • schedular payments
  • income tested benefits
  • taxable Māori authority distributions
  • New Zealand superannuation (NZ Super)

You can still request a PTS for the previous four tax years ending 31 March 2015 to 2018.

Find out more about income tax assessments