Make a payment
Business income tax Tāke moni whiwhi mō ngā pakihi

Tax relief - extreme weather and natural disasters

Tax relief and income assistance is available to people affected by extreme weather, eg storms, floods and droughts and natural disasters. We have a range of measures to help depending on your personal circumstances and the particular event.

We understand that tax isn't the first thing on your mind. But please contact us with any concerns or questions about tax or income levels, so we can make arrangements to help.

Income equalisation scheme

Farmers and fishers who have money deposited in this scheme may be able to make an early withdrawal. The normal timeframe for making deposits to the Income Equalisation scheme has been extended to allow farmers and fishers to make late deposits.

Note: The term "farmer" includes anybody carrying on an agricultural business on land in New Zealand.

Find out about the special provisions for farmers and fishers

Provisional tax estimates

You may be able to make an estimate or re-estimate of provisional tax, if your circumstances have changed due to extreme weather. We can arrange early refunds if provisional tax has been overpaid.

Outstanding tax

We'll consider instalment arrangements for paying outstanding tax in some circumstances.

You can apply for a write-off due to serious hardship when you know you won't be able to pay the full amount.

If we grant relief from payment due to hardship and you have losses to carry forward, these losses will be reduced in proportion to the amount written off.

Late filing and late payment

Extensions for some income tax returns may be available. Extensions can't be granted for GST and PAYE returns, but any penalties for late filing may be remitted. Under limited circumstances penalties for late payments and use-of-money interest incurred due to the effects of the weather or natural disaster may also be remitted.

Find out more about late filing and late payments.

Certificate of exemption

If you're currently involved in contract work where schedular payments are to be deducted (eg, shearing or other agricultural contract work), you may be entitled to a certificate of exemption.

Find out more about certificates of exemption.

Tailored tax codes

You may be entitled to a tailored tax code if you're receiving a salary or wage and have a loss to carry forward. A certificate will be issued to you with a reduced tax rate.

Find out more about tailored tax codes.

Working for Families Tax Credits

Working for Families Tax Credits entitlements are based on your yearly family income. If your family income changes, your entitlement may change. If your yearly family income decreases you may be entitled to increased payments. You may be able to change the frequency of your payments.

Find out more about Working for Families Tax Credits.

Paid parental leave

Eligibility: If:

  • your baby is expected or born, or
  • you become the primary carer for a child under six on or after 1 April 2016

you'll need to have worked an average of at least 10 hours per week for any 26 of the 52 weeks immediately before the date the child comes into your care.

Entitlement: Find out more about the current entitlement rates.

Child support

If you have trouble making child support payments by due dates you should call us. It may be appropriate to re-estimate your income and reduce the assessment.

Call us to talk about your child support payments

Find out more about child support

Other tax measures that could help

These include the following:

  • Deductions can be made for farm losses when certain improvements are destroyed or irreparably damaged.
  • Livestock or materials donated because of an adverse event may be treated as zero-value rated.
  • Payments or donations from charities aren't taxable or liable for GST.
  • Tax treatment of insurance payments depends on what the payment is compensating, eg insurance for loss of capital assets is non-taxable, but income-replacement insurance may be taxed.
  • Interest on money borrowed to keep the farm going may be deductible.
  • Eligibility for independent earner tax credit.

Find out more

To find out more about how we can help you phone us on 0800 473 566 Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm.